Dark Heart
by Birdwell
8/16/09

Remember?

Season of the Witch The other day, I happened upon Season of the Witch at the nearby Dollar Tree. The title caught my eye, as well as the cover (I am a sucker for the ginger). Reading the inside jacket hooked me AND it was just ONE DOLLAR! The story was excellent and thought provoking.

Besides being a love story and a thriller, the main theme of this book revolved around the human mind and memory. The idea was posited: what makes us special and unique among the animals (and what gives us our souls) is our ability to remember and recall. Our modern brains are mush, for we remember, retain and recall nothing compared to what we used to. The muscles that are our brains have atrophied to the point where we are scarcely soulful beings. We would be complete morons in the face of our ancient ancestors (heck if you think about it even 100 year ancestors) The Ancient Greeks and Romans could remember entire sagas, stories, daily knowledge we take for granted (recipes, maps, etc.); reams (rather scrolls) of knowledge that puts computers to shame. The blame is put squarely on the advent of books, TV and computers. We don't need to remember anything any more because we rely on these memory crutches and so our brains are withering. We retain virtually nothing in our own brains.

For me this is completely and utterly fascinating. One I have always been fascinated with the brain and consciousness and two my memory is TERRIBLE and I have always wondered how to fix it. I also worry what will happen to me at 50--will I have any memory at all?

I am wondering if I can find ways to truly exercise my brain, turning it into a true organic computer-like it is meant to be. Or is it too late?

Labels: ,

1:48:00 AM -- Email -- Link -- 0 Comments

Main Page

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Birdy's Knits, shop and blog
Check Out My Knitting Blog!

Site Feed



DAILYBOOTH

Your life in pictures!


join today!


www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Birdwell. Make your own badge here.


-------------



-------------

Ten Things I've Said Before Today:

Names
Some Like It HOT?
What Else Are Friends For??
You Can Save a Life
Economics
Bad Blogger
Falling Apart?
Home Again, Home Again Jigidy Jig
Up Early??
Making Stuff


-------------

What I talk About:
- Birthdays
- Blog Business
- Books
- Cleaning
- Daily Rant
- Food
- Holidays
- Homeschooling
- Just For Fun
- Kid Antics
- Kid Pics
- Knitting
- Mr. Murphy
- Music
- Obsessions
- Politics
- Surgery
- Texans
- Weather

-------------

Internal Links of Interest:


Official NaNoWriMo 2006 Participant
Writers BLOCK

Knit Bits

The Preggo Blog

the Archives

Oldest Archives

Birdy's Wishlist

Jamey's Wishlist

Micci's Wishlist

Lorelei's Wishlist

Micci's Photo Album

This is me

Blogger Profile

Vox

-------------

External Links of Interest:


Mother Knows Best

Dooce

The Superficial

Caroline

Meg

Slashfood

Knitting Curmudgeon

Knitty

Queer Joe's Knitting Blog

Go Knit In Your Hat

The Girl From Auntie

I'm Knitting as Fast as I Can

The Blue Blog


Webdesign by Birdwell Productions Powered by Blogger
© 1998-2008 Birdwell Productions